Friday, May 29, 2015

The Juicy Goods

Greetings, All,

The goods?  The pure cherry juice has arrived, (thanks again, P!).

Here is some interesting reading from the renal point of view regarding hyperuricemia.

I started the experiment this morning in my mueslix which, for the first time in months, had fruit other than frozen squishy cherries in it, (apple 'n cinnamon).

Luckily, I just happen to have a big blood draw coming up (never thought I'd be typing that kinda sentence), at the hospital soon (for MPA/renal control + a couple of trials I am in), so I'll be able to see any uric acid changes right away.

The study below, (taken from here), used 90mL/day doses of concentrate, but according to the last sentence, that might be a bit of a waste.

Since I am not using concentrate juice, I will start with an even 100mL/day of this pure stuff and within a week, I'll know if more is needed.

I'm still not sure if the type(s) of cherry juice I'm using is the one that does the gouty trick but so far so good with nondescript frozen ones, so I'm thinking this stuff should have some kind of positive impact.

Hopefully, I'll have something down right gob-smacking to report soon enough.

+++vibes,

J

"There were 12 participants in the study, and each was given two doses of concentrated tart cherry juice for each phase. Each phase lasted two days with a 10-day washout period in between. The first dose was given in the morning, while the second one was administered just before dinner.

The first dose was 30ml of concentrated Montmorency cherry juice mixed with 100ml of water. The second dose was 60ml of the same juice concentrate mixed in with 100ml of water.  Blood and urine samples were collected immediately after the doses were administered and in intervals for the next 48 hours.  

Results showed that levels of uric acid in the blood were reduced while uric acid levels in urine spiked, suggesting that the Montmorency tart cherry juice promoted the elimination of harmful acids in the body.

The experiment also yielded the same results whether participants consumed 30ml or 60ml of Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate."

No comments: