Tuesday, February 17, 2015

RAHHHHHHHRRRRR!

G'Day, Readers,

Yesterday I was brought to sweet, sad, wonderful tears by an older gentleman whom I do not know, but had talked with once, for only a of couple minutes, about 8 years ago.  It was while out walking my dog Tony through a neighborhood we hadn't gone through before and on that walk, we passed by a huge and lovely Newfoundland dog named RAHHHRRR, as I learned from his owner who was outside at the time. 

BEST BIG DOG NAME EVER.  :)

Here, for those not familiar with the breed, is a pretty good pic of how I remember Rahhhrrr:

His impressive nose was as big as a golf ball and he had such a darling spirit that just beamed out of every tuft of fur on his massive body.

From that day on, I would make sure to walk down that street now and then in hopes of catching even a glimpse of that ole Big Foot, but it never worked out, partially due to my forgetting which house it was--only remembering that fantastic, massive hunk-a-chunk of big-dog-love.

I realize now, I never even petted the Raaahhhrrr-issimo.  It's so great how some dogs, like people, can make SUCH deep and lasting first impressions.

Recently, while walking Tony down that very same street, I was hit with the memory of RAHHHRR quite authoritatively and I stopped in my tracks in front of what turned out to be, the right house.

And at that moment,  I saw the owner rounding the corner from the back yard and I, "excuse'd me", as he neared the gate.  I asked if he was indeed, the owner of big ole Rahhhrrr, guessing that by now, he had likely given up the pooch-ghost.

He had, only last year in fact and that lovely man most serenely teared up as he told me of Rahhhrrr's passing.  I was happy to learn that Rahhhrrr had lived a proper-long life, (long for giant breeds), and that the man now had two more dogs, (albeit more the size of Rahhhrrr's breakfast than Rahhhrrr ;).  He got them from a sick relative who could no longer take care of them properly and I was glad to know that he had more dogoodness in his life.

To watch those fish bowl tears roll so freely down the man's rosy cheeks as he recounted Rahhhrrr's last days was just touching beyond words, but I wanted to give words a shot anyway here 'cause pure love like that always deserves a spotlight.

Now that ole Tony is officially starting to show his Labby age, (limping often, sleeping even more and lagging behind on most walks),  I guess I'm even more sensitive to the too-short life-cycle of the blessed creatures that make such a difference in so many people's lives.

Here's to YOU, RAHHHRRR!  

Glad you had such a quality steward.

 +++ (and still teary), vibes,

; J



No comments: