Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Hand Botox?

Hi, Readers,

And especially to those suffering with Raynaud's or their caring friends.

I've been researching the hell out of this condition which, since my trip to Canada has been worse than I have even known--right into the ole nose, which is cold through to the septum. 

After a whole day of no blood flow to the the extremities, I can say that it gets pretty sore.

And frustrating.

And limiting.

And it certainly does nothing for the mojo, this new knowledge that I am no longer capable of simply keeping my own body warm enough.

So today, I share a nugget from the Raynaud's treatment front that is not in pill-form, (calcium channel blockers are seemingly the go-to medication used to ease the symptoms of Raunaud's and as I'm already on blood pressure meds, I'm not keen to add another/its side effects to the "daily meds".)

I still don't know how well botox mixes with my Vasculitis, nor with CKD, but I'll surely be bringing it up at the next appointment.

Here's a C&P of the promising results from a study of 19 Raynaud's patients, after botox was shot into the palm area of the hands:

RESULTS:  Sixteen of 19 patients (84 percent) reported pain reduction at rest. Thirteen patients reported immediate relief; three reported more gradual pain reduction over 1 to 2 months. Three patients had no or minimal pain relief. Tissue perfusion results demonstrated a marked change in blood flow (-48.15 percent to 425 percent) to the digits. All patients with chronic finger ulcers healed within 60 days. Most patients [n = 12 (63 percent)] remained pain-free (13 to 59 months) with a single-injection schedule. Four patients (21 percent) required repeated injections because of recurrent pain.

CONCLUSIONS: Vascular function is abnormal in patients with Raynaud's phenomenon. Although its mechanism is unknown, Botox yielded a distinct improvement in perfusion and reduction in pain in patients failing conservative management. Continued research may lead to more specific and reliable treatment for Raynaud's patients.

So that's it for me on another gorgeous French fall day, about to head into it for a pooch walk, bundled up like Kenny from Southpark.

+++vibes,

J

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hope your chat with the Dr. goes well!

Juanita Grande said...

Thanks, Mike,

Looks like soon, (I hope), I will be spending a day or two at the hospital for a battery of testing and scanning with a whole medical team in on it.

Better bring my own chow.

; J